Washington, D.C. – U.S. Conference of Mayors (USCM) leadership, including USCM President Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, USCM Vice President New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, USCM Second Vice President Columbia Mayor Stephen Benjamin, Latino Alliance Chair Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Immigration Reform Task Force Co-Chair Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza, Criminal & Social Justice Committee Chair Gary Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson, Austin Mayor Steve Adler and Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings, along with the Major Chiefs Association and the Police Executive Research Forum, will meet with Department of Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly this week, Wednesday, March 29 in Washington, D.C.
The primary topic for the meeting, requested by USCM CEO & Executive Director Tom Cochran and Major Chiefs Association President Montgomery County (MD) Police Chief Tom Manger, is the President’s January 25 interior enforcement Executive Order. The meeting is intended to provide an opportunity for the Secretary to hear directly from mayors and police chiefs about the importance, effectiveness, and constitutionality of local policing and other public safety policies, as well as for the mayors to hear from the Secretary about how the Executive Order will be carried out and how it will affect local policies.
The meeting is CLOSED TO PRESS, but mayors and police chiefs including below will be available for one-on-one interviews immediately following the meeting at the Embassy Suites Hotel at 10:45 am EDT.
- Oklahoma City (OK) Mayor Mick Cornett, USCM President
- New Orleans (LA) Mayor Mitch Landrieu, USCM Vice President
- Columbia (SC) Mayo Stephen Benjamin, USCM Second Vice President
- Providence (RI) Mayor Jorge Elorza, USCM Immigration Reform Task Force Co-Chair
- Gary (IN) Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson, USCM Criminal & Social Justice Committee Chair
- Austin (TX) Mayor Steve Adler, USCM Advisory Board
- Dallas (TX) Mayor Mike Rawlings, USCM Trustee
- Los Angeles (CA) Police Chief Charlie Beck
- Seattle (WA) Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole
- Major Chiefs Association President Montgomery County (MD) Police Chief Tom Manger
- Police Executive Research Forum President Camden County (NJ) Police Chief Scott Thompson
- Tom Cochran, USCM CEO & Executive Director
WHAT: One-on-one interviews with mayors immediately following the meeting with DHS Secretary John Kelly
WHEN: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 10:45 am EDT
WHERE: Embassy Suites by Hilton | Lobby outside Capital D Room, Lower Level | 900 10th St, NW, Washington, D.C.