The application process for the 2021 Childhood Obesity Prevention/Environmental Health and Sustainability Awards is now open! A total of $775,000 in funding will be awarded to nine cities, in three population categories: Small City (population less than 75,000); Medium City (population 75,000-250,000) and Large City (population more than 250,000).
All member cities of The United States Conference of Mayors are eligible to receive this award, including service cities. Each application must include a signed letter of support from the Mayor. There is no limit on the number of applications a Mayor can support or submit.
This award aims to support programs that engage community members and promote or stimulate behavior change, in the categories of a) childhood obesity prevention, b) environmental health and sustainability or c) a hybrid of both. Types of programs eligible for funding include but are not limited to:
Childhood Obesity Prevention Initiatives
- Increasing kids’ and families’ access to fresh fruits and vegetables, through the development of school and community gardens, and/or programs that support farmers’ markets and/or free or low-cost fruit and vegetable distribution in affected communities
- Cooking and nutrition programs that focus on teaching kids how to eat better and/or how to prepare healthy meals
- Programs that encourage kids to exercise in and out of school
- Programs that empower youth to engage in educating their peers and in the community decision-making process about issues that directly impact their health and wellbeing – for example, hiring and training youth advocates
Environmental Health and Sustainability Initiatives
- Strategies to encourage and improve residential recycling rates and reduce contamination
- Food waste reduction initiatives, composting and other waste/landfill diversion programs
- Beach/waterway and other types of community clean-up initiatives
- Projects that promote water conservation
- Projects that develop parks, and other open spaces
- Projects that promote alternative transportation options, such as bike paths, and/or enhance neighborhood walkability for residents
- Programs that include strategies to reduce childhood obesity and also address environmental health and safety concerns.
Ready to apply? Click on the red APPLY NOW button at the top right of this page. You can also review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), and preview the application questions before you begin the online application – those files are located right below the APPLY NOW button. If you have a question that isn’t answered by any of the information here, you can email us at email@example.com. Good luck!
If you’re interested in historical information about the predecessor to this new and enhanced program, the Childhood Obesity Prevention Awards, visit https://www.usmayors.org/programs/childhood-obesity-prevention.