Executive Director's Column
Washington, DC
April 25, 2003
SARS/Toronto
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome SARS hit our neighbor, Canada, this week when the World Health Organization (WHO) stunned Toronto, the largest Canadian city, by issuing an advisory against all nonessential travel to the city. Aside from the health consequences to our North American neighbor, the WHO advisory came from Geneva and shocked Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman and it provoked him to say in a national televised statement, "I-ve never been so angry in my life. If it's safe to live in Toronto, it's safe to come to Toronto." Mayor Lastman also said the WHO staff had not even been to Toronto to observe, investigate and witness the situation. He said he had been working with the U.S. Cnters for Disease Control CDC and others and believes they have turned the crisis around.
This warning puts our neighbor Canada at the same level of world alarm as China even though China has many more reported cases of SARS. Presently the advisory includes, in addition to mainland China (Beijing, Shanxi Province, Guangdong Province) and Toronto, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Vietnam. Canada now ranks third with 16 deaths in Toronto and 330 cases across our neighboring nation. Over 10,000 Canadians have been ordered into quarantine.
WHO Director General Gro Harlem Brundtland defended her advisory warning to China and Canada because she says SARS is a new virus disease, a challenge to everyone, "There is no treatment and no vaccine. There is no response scientifically."
Aside from the scary health side of this international phenomenon, the WHO warning is devastating to Toronto's economic life. Financial experts predict there will be a $30 million a day loss to Canada. The devastation goes across all aspects of the tourism industry. European and Australian cruise lines are advising their clients to avoid Toronto. Major League baseball weighed in by warning teams playing in Toronto to take precautions by avoiding Canadian crowds and contact with Canadian fans.
In Beijing, schools are shut down, sending 1.7 million kids home, and thousands are fleeing that city. China has cancelled the week long May Day holiday because they fear vacationers and travelers will spread the disease. Road blocks surround Beijing. The government does not want Beijing citizens to travel into other parts of China because of the fear that the disease will spread.
As has been reported, the Mayor of Beijing was dismissed, fired, by the Central Government because it alleged that there was coverup of the magnitude of persons infected with SARS.
Canada, unlike China, waged its efforts against SARS in a more public manner. Canadian elected officials and top health professionals were equally shocked at the sudden WHO international advisory charging that the advisory will debilitate their economy so dependent on business travel, tourism, conventions while doing almost nothing to protect public health. Toronto Mayor Lastman says further, "This isn't a city in the grips of fear and panic."
Two mayors, one fired and the other fighting mad are the news this week. One Toronto next door in our shadow and the other Beijing while thousands of miles away extremely close because of the jet airplane, the supersonic machine that infects us and brings the unfortunate individuals infected close to us into our cities through our city airports. Whether or not you cover it up as in China or you get out front of it as in Canada, it makes no difference to the World Health Organization as it seems to view its advisories on health statistics, not calculating any facts of what governments are doing to protect its citizens or aspects of the economic consequences.
It is not for us to question the health motive of the WHO; this is a serious life or death matter. But it does raise the question to all mayors across the globe as to how the advisories are determined and are released spreading fear and panic because of another modern machine the television that will scare people and cause panic behavior because of what people see on worldwide global networks.
Since SARS appeared earlier this year, we have been concerned and have communicated our concern to our partners at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta.
This epidemic now with an epicenter in the largest city in Toronto our neighbor raises the question of USA cities, USA mayors and USA citizens. Recently at the Conference of Mayors Travel and Tourism Summit, SARS was a topic of concern and the concern was voiced by Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin who told the delegates SARS was already affecting Atlanta airport traffic and thus affecting Atlanta's economy. And other cities, with cancelled flights, are feeling the loss of economic benefits of international travelers.
We are monitoring the situation and if you have questions or concerns we urge you to contact me or Crystal Swann, Assistant Executive Director of Health here at our Conference headquarters. No doubt this issue will be for discussion at our upcoming International Conference of Mayors meeting and our 71st Annual Meeting in Denver six weeks from now.
Homeland Security Webcast U.S. MayorVision
We are encouraged by the response and participation we are receiving from our webcast this week with Mr. Josh Filler, Director, State and Local Government Coordination of the Department of Homeland Security. We thank Mr. Filler for joining me as he is Secretary Ridge's liaison with us and it is most important that we work closely with Secretary Ridge and his team as we all want the appropriated federal funds distributed in a fashion that enables our first responders to get the resources they need during the challenging times we face now and in the future.
We appreciate the questions during the webcast. The U.S. MayorVision broadcast is archived for you to view and you can see it now on our homepage usmayors.org.
Also, for further information concerning the billions of dollars that will be distributed soon, contact Ed Somers, Chief of Staff at (202)861-6706.
There will be other webcasts. And again, we thank Mr. Josh Filler for his time. His being here on our webcast over U.S. MayorVision being brought to you by The U.S. Conference of Mayors, means that he and Secretary Ridge want to work with you the nation's mayors and our first responders as we go forward.
Nagin Launches Intrado's IntelliCast
In New Orleans last week, Mayor Ray Nagin and I launched our new partnership with Intrado to provide IntelliCast warning systems for the citizens of New Orleans. We are most pleased with the response we are getting from this partnership. At issue is how mayors notify thousands or even hundreds in the city or its neighborhoods due to crisis situations that range from a missing child and terrorist alerts to weather emergencies. (See front page story) Please contact Rhonda Spears at (202)861-6794 for further information about Intrado and the IntelliCast system.
USCM/International Council of Shopping Centers Meeting Las Vegas May 18-19, 2003
I look forward to seeing many of you at the International Council of Shopping Centers Meeting in Las Vegas, May 18-19.
Boston Mayor and Conference President Thomas M. Menino will be attending for the purpose of bringing mayors and business closer together to provide economic development and new resources to new markets in our cities. For registration, please contact Carol Edwards, Director Conferences and Conventions at 202-861- 7330 for further information.
71st Annual Meeting Denver June 5-10
Our 71st is shaping up. You need to be there. Mayor Wellington E. Webb is working hard to produce a most memorable meeting for all mayors, spouses and staff. Please register now. Call Carol Edwards, Director Conference and Conventions at 202- 861-7330 for further information.
|