|
"Wall of Gun Deaths" Elicits Emotional Response from Families of Victims, March Participants
By
Ed Somers and Conference staff
On Mother’s Day, May 14, 2000,
the largest march in the nation’s history for gun safety was held in
Washington, DC and in cities across the nation. With estimates running from
between 500,000 and 750,000 participants, moms from across the nation sent
a strong and clear message to the nation’s political leaders: the time for
action on gun safety legislation is now. The U.S. Conference of Mayors
strongly endorsed the Million Mom March, and worked over the past several
months to promote participation. The culminating press event took
place on Thursday, May 11 when Conference and Million Mom March leaders
came together on the National Mall before the west front of the U.S.
Capitol to call for House and Senate action to stem the tide of gun
violence. Gary Mayor Scott King and District of Columbia Mayor Anthony
Williams presented the "Wall of Gun Deaths", a 54-foot long and 12.5-foot
high memorial listing the names of 4,001 victims of gun violence, and
pledged their full support for the Million Mom March. Million Mom March founder Donna
Dees-Thomases stated, "For too long we have ignored the gun violence
epidemic because it was always in somebody else’s backyard. We cannot
afford to ignore it any longer because our children’s lives are far too
precious. That is why this Sunday, we moms will gather here in our
nation’s capital and 67 other cities across the country to demand sensible
gun laws." Gary Mayor Scott King, whose
nephew Blake, was killed by gun violence in the last year, said, "If this
were any other cause of death occurring in this country, we would be
outraged, and I dare say the Congress of the United States would be
outraged, and I dare say it would take action." The Wall is a graphic
representation of the results of a report, titled "The Death Toll Since
Columbine," which documents the day-to-day experience of 100 U.S. cities
in which 4,001 persons are known to have died as a result of gun violence
in the 11 months following the Columbine incident. The report lists the
individual fatalities produced by this gun violence, based on the cities’
responses to a series of requests for information by the Conference. The
cities included in the report were drawn from the 50 largest in the U.S.,
from those represented in the leadership of the Conference of Mayors, and
from those submitting information for earlier Conference reports on gun
violence. "You’re talking the magnitude of
a war," declared Washington Mayor Anthony A. Williams. "Unfortunately,
these victims died for no great cause. They died on our own streets, in
our own neighborhoods." Among the report’s other findings:
Of the 100
cities, only eight had no gun violence fatalities between April 20, 1999
and March 20, 2000.
Of the 92
cities reporting fatalities, there are no days during the reporting
period that are free of firearms deaths.
Of the
3,852 victims for whom ages are known, eight percent are juveniles, 17
years of age and under.
Young
adults, 18 to 25 years of age, account for 35 percent of the total
fatalities.
The
youngest victims in the report are just two years old; the oldest victim
is 97
. The 100 cities surveyed in the
report range in size from Chicago, which has a population of more than
2,720,000, to Bedford Heights, Ohio, with a population of about 11,800.
In a prepared statement, Denver
Mayor and Conference President Wellington E. Webb said of the survey’s
findings, "The grim results of this survey show that until action is
taken, the death toll will simply grow and grow. I’m pleased with the work
of moms and mayors in the year since Columbine to deglorify violence in
our neighborhoods, but I’m also frustrated that Congress has not budged. I
hope some of the holdouts in Congress will pause before this massive "Wall
of Gun Deaths", where perhaps they will see a familiar name from their
hometown, and I hope it causes them to rethink their position." Marchers Respond to "Wall of Gun Deaths"
While the nation watched and
listened to moving testimonials from mothers who have lost children due to
gun violence, the human tragedy of gun violence was graphically displayed
for march participants on the nation’s mall. The U.S. Conference of Mayors
"Wall of Gun Deaths" was prominently displayed, drawing huge crowds
including many family members and friends of persons who’s names appear on
the 54 feet long, 12.5 feet high wall. Family members told stories of
traveling to the march for the sole purpose of seeing the names of loved
ones, many leaving behind flowers statements of remembrance. In addition, many visitors to the
Wall come to help educate their children as to the dangers of guns, and
the tragedy of so many deaths. As covered in a front page story
in The Washington Post, one six-year-old child asked his dad, "Were all
those people killed by guns? Did any survive? Why don’t they just through
guns away?" The boy’s father replied, "it will only be a matter of time
before you hear about someone you know who has died from a gun. It’s very
important that you never play with guns." Marches Held Across the
Country In addition to the march in
Washington, DC, marches were held in more than 60 cities across the
nation. While some mayors such as Toledo’s Carleton Finkbeiner led
delegations to Washington, DC, others actively participated in their local
marches. Palatine Mayor Rita Mullins
served as master of ceremonies for a 5,000 person rally in Grant Park in
Chicago. Urging participants to sign in at a registration booth, Mayor
Mullins said, "We want to contact you after this event, because that’s
when the real work begins." During the Chicago march, the
original, pre-Hallmark Mother’s Day Proclamation was read, penned in
Boston by Julia Ward Howe in1870, which was a rallying cry for women to
press for peace Buffalo Mayor Anthony M. Masiello
attended a local rally with his two daughters while his wife Kate led a
local contingent to Washington, DC. "I’m so proud of my wife and all the
women who took the time to go to these kinds of rallies. It shows their
commitment to ending gun violence in our nation," Masiello said, adding
that he is fully in support of "responsible, reasonable gun laws," being
called for by the organizers and participants in the Million Mom March. "I
don’t think it’s an extreme stance; It’s a logical, right one," Masiello
said. Up to 3,000 people turned out for
the Tulsa Million Mom March, with Mayor M. Susan Savage saying, "You are
part of a vocal, determined majority of Tulsans advocating for
change...Today, we celebrate what we believe is our right: safety in our
communities from gun violence." And Seattle Mayor Paul Schell
attended a rally at which his wife, Pam, took the speakers’ podium,
encouraging participants to pressure their state legislators and
congressional delegates for gun controls. March’s Mission The mission statement of the Million Mom March says,
"We, the mothers, are calling on Congress to enact common sense gun
control legislation by Mothers’ Day 2000." The group has
endorsed:
Sensible "cooling off" periods and
background checks for weapons purchases; Licensing handgun owners and
registering all handguns; Safety locks for all
handguns; One-handgun-per-month purchasing
limits; "No nonsense" enforcement of gun
laws. In addition to the Conference of
Mayors, over 350 national organizations, faith-based communities, and
state and local groups have endorsed the march. Additional information
regarding the initiative can be found by calling 888-989-MOMS or at the
website: www.millionmommarch.com
|